Responsible for admitting the patient to the clinical area and providing nursing care to the preoperative patient, as well as, developing a nursing care plan specifically designed for the individual patient.
The staffing of the Center is based on a teamwork concept. Employees may be cross-trained in other clinical areas and may be expected to perform duties other than their normal ones as staffing and patient needs change.
1. Ensures the preoperative area has a clean and therapeutic environment for all patients at all times
2. Ensures supplies and equipment needed are available and in good working order
3. Admits the patient to the unit and prepares him/her for the scheduled procedure
4. Makes initial assessment and determines the nursing needs of the patient
5. Explains nursing procedures and actions taken to help reduce anxiety
6. Identifies patient's physical and mental status
7. Monitors the patient's medical condition and reports any significant changes to the admitting physician or anesthesiologist
8. Assures surgical consent and preoperative test results are in the medical record prior to proposed procedure
9. Reports any important health history facts to the operating room nurse
10. Gives patients and family members emotional support as necessary
11. Documents patient care delivered, accurately in the medical record
12. Performs other nursing duties as assigned
13. Maintains established Center/departmental policies and procedures
14. Maintains confidentiality of patient and Center related business
15. Develops and maintains an effective working relationship with patients, families, visitors and other Center employees
16. Documents concisely, precisely and accurately on all records or documents as indicated by policy.
17. Participates in Quality Assessment activities as directed for the continuous improvement of patient care and Center business
1. Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing or vocational school
2. Licensed to practice in the state
3. Previous preoperative care experience preferred
CHRISTUS HEALTH is an international Catholic, faith-based, not-for-profit health system comprised of almost more than 600 services and facilities, including more than 60 hospitals and long-term care facilities, 350 clinics and outpatient centers, and dozens of other health ministries and ventures. CHRISTUS operates in 6 U.S. states, Colombia, Chile and 6 states in Mexico. To support our health care ministry, CHRISTUS Health employs approximately 45,000 Associates and has more than 15,000 physicians on medical staffs who provide care and support for patients. CHRISTUS Health is listed among the top ten largest Catholic health systems in the United States.